Thursday, February 2, 2012

Captured Hearts, Chapter 11

Chapter 11

AUBREE

I woke suddenly as Arya touched my arm. Her eyes were grave in the dawn that prevailed over this alien land. “Wake, we must go. It is not safe here anymore.” Her voice was like water, so clear it almost hurt to hear it. A lot had changed since we had passed through what Eragon had called the Portal. Once we were through, their features had taken on a new look. Eragon and Arya had acquired pointed ears and Arya’s appearance had changed dramatically. Her figure was slimmer and her facial features were angled to a degree to where even I, with my less than normal vision, could tell that Eragon was changed. He was neither elf nor man. I truly understood what he meant when he said he was in a class all by himself.

“Where are we?” I asked, in a slightly slurred voice. I still was half asleep.

“I thought we would end up back in Du Weldinvarden, but it seems not. We are somewhere between Helgrind and Dras-leona. I do not like our position. We must do our best and get out of the Empire as soon as speed will allow.” The names were foreign to me, but that first one had sent shivers up my spine. It sounded evil and horrible.

“How will we get out of here? We don’t have any fast means of transportation unless you packed a car with your supplies.”

“We have a dragon, much more intelligent and beautiful than your earth crawling stink bugs.” commented Arya with a gleam in her eye, “I do hope you are not afraid of heights, Aubree.” I paled a little. Sure, I had flown back and forth every weekend to and from school, but there was a big difference from sitting in a nice padded chair to sitting astride a dragon’s back. I gulped, feeling a knot forming in the pit of my stomach.

“Don’t worry; I was scared my first ride to. I had bruises that have been wiped away, though I still remember the pain. Saphira did not have a saddle back then. I will hold on to you tight so you will not fall. Flying is really an amazing experience, once you get over your fears.” Eragon laid a soothing hand on my arm and I felt a little better. I reminded myself that Abby was in trouble and that we had to get help for her as soon as possible. I swallowed my fear and Eragon helped me as I climbed onto Saphira’s back.

The flight took us about a week. We only stopped to get water and let Saphira rest. On the seventh day we were flying under a cloud that looked like orange and tan vomit, mixed with every other type of foul thing. Two camps lay opposite each other and a river snaked across the land, its waters looked putrid and disgusting. I shuddered. This land had seen much abuse. It made me sad to see that.

We shot down out of the sky like a rocket, which didn’t make my stomach at all happy. I heard shouts from far below and the twang of strings. Arrows flew towards us at an alarming speed, but Eragon raised one hand and stopped them in mid air. He plucked one right from its course and held it out for me to see. It was fletched with beautiful feathers and Eragon tucked it into his pocket.

Landing in a clearing of tents, a man rushed towards us. “Shadeslayer, we apologize for that attack. Our men were afraid it was an enemy.” He went on to say more but Eragon waved him away and said,

“It is no matter. Your men did the right thing. I would have done it as well, were I in their place. Now, where is Lady Nasuada? I must speak to her.”

“She is at her tent talking with Brom.” The man stated. Eragon asked where he could find this tent and Saphira strode through the camp, bringing us to our destination, at last. It was a tent bigger than the surrounding ones and a flag flew at the pinnacle of it. Guards were posted at the flap and they looked us over with critical eyes, noticing my outlandish clothes and our tired expressions.

“We are here to see Nasuada. Tell her Eragon; Arya and a guest are here to see her.” Eragon did not mention my name or where I came from. I wondered why he did this.

We were allowed into the tent. The guards let us in with blank faces and resumed their duties. A flap was released to allow Saphira’s massive head in to view what could happen.

“Eragon, Arya it is good to see you both. Brom just arrived a day ago and has been very unhelpful in letting me know where you went.” A woman with dark skin and almond-shaped eyes peered at us from where she sat on a lavishly carved chair. A steely man sat beside her. He had a tangled beard and a stern face. There were lines --both of laughter and sorrow--on his face.

“Eragon, you have returned sooner than we thought. And who is this maiden you have brought us? You have not introduced us yet.” The man’s face turned toward me, his eyes were like a laser. I could feel them boring into me.

“This is Aubree, she, well she is an outlander of sorts. You know what I mean Brom. We brought her here to meet you, she is very unique.” Eragon went on to relay the rest of what had happened to him and Arya to the two adults. He didn’t mention the portal or the other world. He called our world another land far, far away. He also told of my lineage and of what I was really thought to be.

“So you seem we had to bring her and also to try and figure out what Galbatorix is plotting next. I feel I made the right decision in coming back.” Brom studied him for a long time, then nodded and said,

“Well, what is done is done. This business of kidnapping and rescue will have to be considered later. For now, you are safe. We can do no more for your new friend Abby, Galbatorix will not hurt her. She is too important a pawn, so she is safe for now.” I opened my mouth to protest, my face going red with anger, but I was stopped by a lifted hand from Nasuada.

“I know that this does not sit well with you Aubree, yet you must accept it and be patient. We have other matters to deal with at the present.” She said this in a kind yet firm voice. I felt the sting of tears and did my best to bite them back although one little bugger did escape and trickled down my cheek. I swiftly wiped it away, hoping no one would notice. They did however and Eragon handed me a handkerchief. I took it and wiped my eyes again.

“It is understandable that you are distressed, but you must understand at this point we can do nothing. We must hope for the best that is all we can do.” Brom pronounced this with finality, and I knew for the moment the subject was moot.

“Now, about this lineage of yours… This is very interesting. If none of you mined, I would like to talk to Aubree alone for a time, and then we might glean more from this.” At Brom’s request Nasuada, Arya, and Eragon, who looked a little worried, left the tent. I stood there somewhat awkwardly, with my head hanging and the tears threatening to overwhelm me.

“Now, come here and sit so that we may have a proper conversation.” He beckoned to me and pointed out a stool put to one side. I brought the stool closer to his chair and sat, a sigh escaping my lips.

“I know about where you come from, so there is nothing for you to explain. I am sorry you had to learn about Eragon and our world this way. It is not an easy burden to take upon ones self. I do have some questions for you though, if you don’t mind answering them?” I nodded and waited while he gathered his thoughts.

“First, do you know what being a half-elf means?” I shook my head and looked at him, hoping he would tell me.

“They are very rare and uncommon. Your ancestors must have loved each other dearly to mate. This means you will have a long life and might even live forever. You will probably have magical powers and we will do our best to tutor you in this. You should start to look like an elf soon, though you most likely won’t be as severely altered like Arya. You might end up like Eragon; maybe he can help you a little. He does have the experience and should learn how to teach another. This will be good for him. I would suggest getting different clothes for you; your current ones are a little outlandish and will draw attention to you. I can do nothing for your sight; it is the price your blood paid to have magic. For now, go rest and stay safe. This is all of the advice I can give you.”

I walked out of the tent dazed and a little overwhelmed. All of who I am or was had just been wiped away. Sure, I still had my same outward features, but even those would be altered. I felt at a loss, I was in some strange land that would have only existed in myth or story. I was in all words, dumbfounded.

I saw the sky and the putrid clouds and I felt my knees buckle. An overwhelming dizziness took me and I was plunged into cold darkness. I was barely aware as Eragon caught me and held me. I slipped deeper into the darkness and was lost, for a time, in my own created night of sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment