Sunday, September 12, 2010

Captured Hearts, Chapter 6

Chapter Six

ABBY

It was a week later that something drastic happened. I was walking along the hall going To Mr. Buckmier's class when I bumped into someone rather hard. I managed to drop my bag and sputtered an incoherent apology.

"Sorry..." I finally could talk without making a fool of myself.

"Quite alright." said an amused male voice. I felt my face burn with embarrassment and cursed myself mentally to stop running into people. I thought while I was at it I'd better introducing myself for future reference.

When he wasn't forthcoming, I said "My name is Abby. I'm sorry for running into you." I trailed off.

"I am Murtagh." he answered promptly. It took me only a second to realize that Murtagh must be connected to Eragon in some way.

"Do you know Eragon?" I blurted. Wrong move. Even though I can't see anything, I can tell when someone's demeanor changes. So I was surprised when he didn't answer. I felt the wind as he stalked past me and was gone. My first thought after he was gone was what is up with this guy? He seemed alright before I talked about... So he was connected to Eragon! I knew it. And what was up with this guy! He didn't even offer to pick up my fallen books!

! That evening I got all the insight I needed from the object of my friend's recent infatuation. It was after dinner when Eragon cornered me outside. "We need to talk." he said not unkindly, but there was an underlying note of concern in his voice. I felt a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. I finally made up my mind to take the innocent card.

“About what?” I asked, trying to keep the knowing note out of my voice.

“I have known you long enough Abigail, plus Aubree told me you were a horrible liar and she was right.” My cheeks burning, I mumbled an incoherent response.

“So, Aubree tells me you literally ran into a stranger today and that his name was Murtagh.” My sinking feeling was confirmed as he spoke the fateful words that came next. “I don’t think you should make an effort to get to know him, he is not the sort that you would like.”

A bubble of anger rose as he finished his declaration. “And how do you know whether he is my sort? You barely know me and my sort. And who are you to tell me what to do?”

I could sense the change that must have come over Eragon. I could almost picture the red flush coming over his cheeks and tensed for the reply I knew was coming.

“I know more about Murtagh than I would like and I know more than you would care to know. I have seen things that your eyes would shrivel and die to see, do not rebuke my opinion!” His voice rang with the authority of thunder. I felt my hands shaking and for the first time wondered why Aubree had picked him. Was he the same way with her?

I heard quick footsteps behind us and recognized Arya’s pace. “What is going on here?” She snapped at Eragon.

“Nothing Arya, just talking to Abby.” He tried to sound nonchalant, but failed miserably.

“It most certainly didn’t sound like nothing!” She said with a hint of annoyance.

“Well, she and Murtagh bumped into one another, and I was just warning her to stay away from him. Though she seems to think otherwise.” He said this with a chill in his voice.

“If that is what it is, then I say that you should let her find out for herself, as she deems your words unjustified.” I listened to this and felt glad that Arya had stepped in. I noticed that the atmosphere was a lot calmer now and Eragon seemed resigned to Arya’s judgment.
I decided to back out now and go find Aubree to tell her what had transpired.

No comments:

Post a Comment